Point of View

 As I sit down at my computer to start writing this edition of my blog, it is mid-October.  Here in the North Central part of the USA that means that Fall is upon us.  As I look out of my windows today, I see many patches of grass covered with fallen leaves.  I see trees that are a mixture of green and red/orange leaves.  Soon those leaves will turn fully red or orange or yellow or brown and fall to the ground.

Since I have lived my entire life in this part of the world, this change is not anything new.  I began to wonder what it might be like for someone who has lived their entire life in a place like Ecuador where the temperature remains constant at about 75 degrees all year long.  Where there are no real seasonal changes, and perhaps the only change is one part of the year may have more rain than other parts.

What would that person think if they were to be brought to this part of the world at this time of year?  I don't have an answer to that, but I am sure that it would be a truly memorable experience.  So, that led me to realize that when we encounter passages in Holy Scripture, we often "see" things based on our experiences.  Over the past several years I have had the wonderful opportunity along with my wife and a group of other fellow Christians to celebrate the office of Morning Prayer together.  As part of our celebration, we always take time to reflect on the appointed scripture passages for the day. Everyone is able to share their reflections and voice them from their own point of view. 

This practice has led to some great insights, some ah-ha moments and some head-scratching moments as well.  But most importantly, it has been wonderful to be able to "see" things through another's eyes...

For those of you who have had the opportunity to "worship" in this way, I say great, keep it up if you can and for those of you who have not done this, I say seek out opportunities like this.  As St. Matthew says "...search, and you will find; knock and the door will be opened for you.  For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words

Lost in Time

Fear