We Learn From Our Mistakes

We learn from our mistakes; I grew up hearing this saying.  I realize that I never gave it much thought, and pretty much accepted it as a sensible way to approach things. However, there are days, in fact many more lately, that I think... "If we really learn from our mistakes, why the heck are repeating them over and over?"  I'm not just referring to us as individuals, but also to humankind in general.  As one looks at the history of humankind, we see the same destructive behaviors play out in various places throughout the world over and over again.

Just when we think, "It can't get much worse" it does...because the destructive behaviors get more heinous, and the response gets worse because there is less of an outrage and more acceptance. It's almost like, if we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist.  Kind of alike a child hiding their eyes at the scarry parts of a movie.

It also brings to mind another "old saying"...Don't rock the boat...Too often we tend to not challenge others or enter into conversations with them when they either do something destructive or voice support for other's destructive behaviors because WE don't want to start any trouble.  As a result, the person with the destructive behaviors continues on spreading their venomous views and rallying their fellow supporters to continue spewing their vile ideals.

As one studies Holy Scripture, various examples of destructive behaviors throughout history can be found.  The entire story of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ is filled with these examples, as well as many stories from the Old Testament.  

However, Holy Scripture also gives us hope, as found in the following passage when Jesus tells us

I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

For me, the key to understanding and living out this commandment is that while I may not approve of someone's words or actions, and I believe that there are and should be real consequences for their behavior, I feel that the ultimate judgement will come when that person must face the Lord.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words

Lost in Time

Fear