Growing

 Having lived my entire life here in the northeastern part of the United States, so a result, I am very used to the changes in seasons.  We have four seasons here (not just the "senior" communities like many of us live in,) but four different types of weather each year.  Right now, as I write this, it is late Spring.  Looking out of my windows, I see new leaves returning to deciduous trees, evergreen trees brightening in color, iris plants blooming and shrubs that will soon need pruning to insure good growth.

That is just one type of growing, I also see my grandsons growing from children to young adults and my granddaughters growing not only in size but also in maturity. 

I have been attending Episcopal churches since the late 1970's.  I have served on the Vestry/Mission Committee at several parishes.  Since my Ordination fifteen years ago (as of June 9th) I have continued to attend Vestry/Mission Committee meetings with voice but no vote.  Over and over and over one particular topic gets discussed...HOW CAN WE GROW THE CHURCH

Well, I have no guaranteed answers to that question, but I do have some thoughts.  Just like so many of us who are or will be soon planting seeds in our gardens, (many times very tiny seeds) then watering them, checking on the health of the soil that we are planting in, providing them with food and tending to their needs, we can and should think about church growth in the same way.

We need to learn as much about the communities we serve (the soil).  We need to determine the strengths and weaknesses of our communities.  Devise plans to support the strengths and plans to build-up the weaknesses of our communities.

Once we have determined the needs of the communities, and have plans in place to address those needs, we need to focus on the seeds.  The seeds are the people of the community.  Unlike growing a true garden where one gets to select particular seeds, our garden (The Church) needs to be a place where all seeds are welcome and nourished.  

I know that there is a BIG ELEPHANT in the room right now...what about those WEEDS...well, most weeds are NOT BAD, but fall into a category as one definition states "a plant growing where you don't want it".  I don't like to see dandelion plants in my lawn, but that does not make them bad, after all, for centuries some folks have used dandelions for health reasons since they contain potent antioxidants.  

Just a thought, ...we should be welcoming those weeds that are growing outside of a church family so that they too can be nourished by God's word and our love. As we get to know those weeds, they too, just like the dandelions may just provide us with some component that will add to the health of the Church. 

We can and will grow our Church by knowing and embracing all the communities we serve and loving our neighbors, just as Jesus taught us ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.'  This is the greatest and first commandment.  And a second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself' 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words

Lost in Time

Fear