Flashback

 I have started several posts to this blog over the last few days and was not pleased with the direction they were taking so it was "Off with their heads"... electronically that is.

So I started to look at some of my past "From The Deacon's Bench" articles.  The one from December 2015 caught my eye and I realized that in the midst of the Covid19 pandemic, when things are not normal, perhaps a return to the past might be in order.  So here is the Flashback:

Gifts

As I sit to write this, it is the eve of “Cyber Monday”, this has closely followed “Black Friday” and the yet to be named “Get it before its Gone Saturday” and “Forget Church…SHOP IT Sunday”. 

I know things in the world change, and I have to admit that as I age, I tend to be less welcoming of some changes, but that is not the reason that I am concerned about this particular change.  I grew up in an extended family that was very large.  My Mom had five brothers and six sisters, and I can’t even count how many cousins I have.  We would always go visiting during the Christmas season, but we didn’t exchange gifts, it would not have been financially possible and it was never expected.  Sharing a good meal and conversation was so much more important and was always a treat.

If you were to research the origin of gift giving at Christmas, you find numerous theories and opinions, but no real facts.  If you are particularly sensitive to “Christian Bashing”, I would not recommend that you carry out this research.  Many individuals with an axe to grind against our beliefs use this practice of gift giving to take shots at us.    

I personally like the theory that the Magi brought gifts to the newborn Jesus and it is in remembrance of that act that we exchange gifts. 

I don’t believe that today’s retail madness in our country is the fault of Christianity is an argument that can be proven.  Jesus and His disciples often talked about gifts, but those were gifts of the spirit and gifts from God that allow certain individuals (if they choose to develop and use those gifts) to achieve sometimes miraculous results.

 Jesus also taught us that we need to always be mindful of those who need our help and we are to use the gifts that God has given to us help others.  Jesus teaches us that it is not necessary to boast about giving that help.  We don’t do it as part of an advertising campaign to attract attention to ourselves we help others because it is the right thing to do. 

So this Christmas season, share what you can with others, it may be a telephone call, it may be something that you have that you no longer need but you know somebody who does need it or some place that can get it to the right person, or it may just be the gift of your presence that is the greatest present you can give to somebody else.

Merry Christmas and Blessings to all!

Deacon Rich

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words

Lost in Time

Fear