Questions


What is normal?  What is the “new normal”? What will the future normal be? These are the kinds of questions that fill my mind these days.  It seems that no sooner do I come up with an answer, things change, and I realize that my answer is no longer relevant.

Just like so many of you, my life has changed significantly over the years.  Some of those changes were good, some were not good, but most of those changes were due to my actions and the choices that I made.

Right now, my biggest fear is not what I might do, or the choices that I might make but it is the choices that what my fellow humans might make or the things that they may not do.  They might not use a face mask or covering, they may venture into non social distancing events and stay there socializing, contract the Covid-19 virus and by continuing this behavior pass the virus along. 

I have always been proud to be an American.  There have been times when I was not proud of some of the things that my country ‘s leaders did or said or positions that they took.  Right now, while I still love my country, I am not proud of what many “leaders” are doing or positions they are taking.  I feel that many of our country’s leaders are not putting the interest of our citizens or the interests of all other humans in the world ahead of their own personal agendas. 

I have more questions than there appears to be answers for when it comes to schools opening.  As a retired educator with over thirty years of experience, I am fully aware of the dynamics of classroom instruction and I do not believe that it will be safe for students and teachers to be together at this point.  In so many instances, total social distancing in a classroom setting is almost impossible.  I am concerned for my grandchildren and my stepdaughter who is a Special Needs paraprofessional.  I am concerned for my former colleagues who are still teaching as well as my current friends and colleagues who are working in education. 

As part of our daily routine, my wife and I take part in Morning Prayer services online.  We have the opportunity to hear and discuss passages from holy scripture plus hearing opinions from various other resources and fellow participants.  The questions often lead to more reflection and yet more questions. 

All of these online meetings make me think of one more question…will the current generation know that zoom used to mean moving or driving very quickly???

Until next time, “Go in peace to love and serve the Lord!”

Deacon Rich


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words

Lost in Time

Fear