Perspective

Throughout my life, I must admit that I have not spent a great deal of time visiting art museums.  While I have a great deal of admiration for the individuals who can create great "works of art", and I don't mind seeing them on display, doing so has never been high on my priority list.  I do have one vivid memory however, that I will share with you.

In the early 1970's I was in Paris and visited the Louvre Museum.  I couldn't wait to see the Mona Lisa.  When I finally did, my first reaction was wow, it's soooooo small!  Well, it took me some time to realize that in fact, the painting was not all that small, but because it was displayed all by itself on an otherwise blank wall with no other paintings nearby, to me it looked small... Perspective

Perspective is defined as "a particular attitude toward or way of regarding something; a point of view."  Many factors can influence one's perspective.  It is important to remember that just because we perceive something about something, someone, or a group of people, does not mean that it is true.

Before we "jump to conclusions" it is important to know as much as possible about the situation and/or the people involved in the situation.  It is also important that we view things (and this is the HARD part) as objectively as possible.  Yes, I know that this is not always possible, since we must at times make decisions in a "split second", but if we have put in the work of getting to know as much as possible in other non-split-second decisions, we will have a better chance of making a good judgement call.

I am reminded of something that my Dad used to say..."Remember, if you assume something and tell me about it, it is quite possible that you will make an ass of u and me.  I only wish I had always followed his advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words

Lost in Time

Fear